Find Your Tour

Any Question? Email Us

Request to call (Puru)

Puru Thapaliya
  • Home »
  • Blog »
  • Necessary Permits For Everest Base Camp Trek

Necessary Permits For Everest Base Camp Trek

Necessary Permits For Everest Base Camp Trek

If you want to make your way to Everest Base Camp, you will need to obtain some permits. These include TIMS cards and entry permits to the Khumbu Rural Municipality and the Sagarmatha National Park.

Table of Contents

Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit  

Everest Base Camp Trek Permit is an essential document. It is a required document for any trekker visiting the Everest region. A valid passport is also required. The cost of the permit differs from country to country. However, it is best to pay with Nepalese currency. This means the price may be higher than you think.

Before going to the Everest Base Camp, you must get your Khumbu Rural Municipality Permit. There are two places to obtain this permit: Lukla or Monjo.

You can apply for a permit in Lukla, but you will have to pay NPR 2000 per person. You will need to pay USD 25 after four weeks if you are a foreigner.

There are several entry points in Lukla. Toc Toc is one of them. Another point is the Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) Card. These are like licenses to enter the Everest region. TIMS helps with search and rescue for the area.

As of October 2018, a new permit system has been introduced for the Everest Base Camp region. While the previous TIMS card is still used, a local entry permit has replaced it.

Getting a permit to the Everest region is simple and easy. You can get it from a visitor's centre or arrange an organized trek.

Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit

Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit is your second most crucial permit before trekking to Mount Everest. The park is located in the Khumbu region of Nepal and is home to the world's highest peak, Mount Everest. It also conserves the Everest region's rare birds, mammals, and vegetation.

To obtain a Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit, you must visit the Department of National Park and Wildlife Conservation in Bhrikuti Mandap in Kathmandu. You must provide your passport details and two passport-size photographs.

Alternatively, you can get the permit at the tourism board office in Kathmandu. You will need to fill out a form and pay NPR 3,000 for a foreigner or NPR 1500 for an Indian. A single person may only purchase one permit.

Another option is to purchase a Sagarmatha National Park Entry Card. This card grants you access to the park and its three reserved areas. Previously, you must carry a Trekker's Information Management System card. However, this is no longer the case.

You can also buy a Sagarmatha National Park Entry card at a visitor centre in the park. These permits are issued by the local authority responsible for the park's management.

Alternatively, you can go to Lukla for the Khumbu Pasang Lhamu Rural Municipality Entrance Permit. You will need your passport details, and you will need to pay only in Nepalese currency.


To trek to Everest Base Camp, you must obtain several permits. These include entry permits, permits to visit the Sagarmatha National Park, and permits for Mcap. The fees are relatively inexpensive, so it is worth getting all of them.

Before trekking in Nepal, you should get a Trekking Information Management System (TIMS) card. This card will also store your personal information and is a safety measure. It will help you to track your progress, and it can also divert you to other trekking routes if you happen to go off the main trail.

To obtain your TIMS card, you must bring a passport with you. You should also have a copy of your passport for verification purposes. Your TIMS card will be issued after you pay the required fee.

TIMS cards are available in both blue and green colours. They cost about NPR 1,000 or US$ 20. For trekkers who are travelling in groups, the cost is less.

During your trek, you must show your TIMS card at checkpoints. You can also use your TIMS card to bypass some of the checkpoints. However, it is best to have your own TIMS card.

To obtain a TIMS card, you can contact your local trekking agency or visit the tourist board. The TIMS card is necessary for several Nepal trek routes but not for Everest Base Camp.

Recent From Blog

Where is Mount Everest?
Where is Mount Everest?
30th Nov, 2022
Kathmandu to Lukla Flight
Kathmandu to Lukla Flight
30th Nov, 2022
Best Time to Visit Nepal
Best Time to Visit Nepal
30th Jan, 2023


  • partner
  • partner
  • partner
  • partner

Find & Follow Us on